11.26.2008

Turkey Overload

I made the decision following Halloween that I would not overlook Thanksgiving this year and I would fight the urge to jump straight into Christmas.  But, we are loaded down at our house with turkeys everywhere!  We have a turkey on our front door, turkey cookies in the kitchen, our thankful turkey hanging on the basement door, and turkey books scattered throughout the house.  And, I am sorry to say that this probably won't be the last post about turkeys!

A turkey even waddled its way into lunch today. I was feeling adventurous, but not at all creative.  Seems that when I want to make something fun for Amelia to eat, I always want to put the food in the form of a smiley face (AKA the winking guy).  I turned to LITTLE NUMMIES for some motivation.  This site is incredible if you are looking for ways to make lunch fun for your toddler (or your spouse!).  I was just about to build a bunny sandwich for Amelia before I came across this turkey idea instead.  And because of our recent obsession with turkeys, I just couldn't pass it up.

This could be made an infinite number of ways, but here's what I did.  The turkey body is bread coated with pumpkin butter (Amelia's new favorite). The eyes are Cheerios with raisin middles.  The beak and legs are swiss cheese and the waddle is a stretched out fruit snack.  The feathers are pieces of bread covered in peanut butter and topped with Cheerios, raisins, Goldfish, and dried apricots.  
Amelia "gobbled" most of it up.  She ate the entire body in record time and ate about half of the feathers.  She rejected the cheese for what I think is the first time ever in her life--I guess she isn't into Swiss :)