8.09.2008

Like Daughter, Like Mother


Amelia's summer reading program through the library ended last week.  The program ran from June 2-August 2 and we read 54 new books to Amelia during that time.  As I've already mentioned in previous posts, it was a great motivator to get to the library at least once a week and Amelia seemed to enjoy choosing new books during each visit.  It is pretty rewarding to browse through the children's section at the library and recognize several books that we had previously checked out.

In addition to an appreciation of some lesser known titles and an expanded vocabulary for Amelia, there was another unexpected positive outcome of participating in the reading program.  One day I happened to overhear a librarian during one of our weekly visits to the library say there was openings in the "Time for Twos" story time.  I had pretty much given up on EVER making it into one of these exclusive story times because they fill up super fast. Unfortunately, I am not organized enough to be on the phone at exactly 9 AM on the first day of registration to secure a spot. But, because we spent so much time at the library this summer we got the added bonus of participating in a 3-week session of story time. Each session was 45 minutes and included a story (obviously), a game, some songs, and a craft.  Amelia enjoyed the weekly sessions so much!  In fact, she still talks about it and once I know the day of the week I will be working this school year, I plan on being one of those moms on the phone at 9 AM on opening day so that Amelia can attend again.  

But, Amelia isn't the only one who spent much of her summer behind the pages of a good book.  I've always been an avid reader, but there is something about summertime that always makes me a little manic about reading some great novels under the warmth of the sun.  I was fortunate enough to borrow a huge stack of books from a friend (thanks Danielle!) early in the summer and I've been working through those as well as some other recommended reads. For those of  you on Facebook, they have an interesting application you can download called Visual Bookshelf.  It will keep track of all of the books you've read as well as keep a list of books you would like to read (and a list of books you are NOT interested in).  If you are feeling ambitious, you can rate and review each one.  Lastly, you can see what your other "friends" are reading and/or what they recommend. The site itself will make recommendations, too, based on past books you've read.  

Anyway, here's what's been keeping me busy this summer:
Slam by Nick Hornby
Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini*
Its Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
The Glass Castle:  A Memoir by Jeannette Walls*
We are All Welcome Here: A Novel by Elizabeth Berg
Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
Prep: A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld
Ridiculous/Hilarious/Terrible/Cool: a Year in an American High School by Elisha Cooper
Jesus Land: A Memoir by Julia Scheeres*
Body Surfing: A Novel by Anita Shreve
I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley*
Becoming Naomi Leon by Pam Munoz Ryan
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini*
Sharp Objects: A Novel by Gillian Flynn (reading this one now)

Going back and perusing the list again, I think it is a nice assortment of fiction and non-fiction.  There are a couple of Young Adult Fiction books and a book with short, comical essays.  There was even a "classic" thrown in for good measure.  I've starred my top 5 favorites.

These are the books either sitting next to my bed or waiting for me on reserve at the library:
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Crank by Ellen Hopkins
Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy by Jonni McCoy
Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes and How to Correct Them by Gary Belsky

I would love to hear some other favorites out there.  If you have one to share, please email me or post it in the comments section.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read "Black Like Me" & "In the Woods." Really liked both of them. I'd be happy to loan them to you (then I don't have to feel so bad about buying them).

Anonymous said...

What about Eat, Pray, Love? What a great read!

jodi said...

Great Danielle! We can do a switch sometime soon. I cannot thank you enough for letting me borrow all of your books!

I agree, mom, that "Eat, Pray, Love" is probably my favorite book I've read this year! I liked it so much that I plan on reading it again around the new year. Its a great book to tie in with resolutions. I didn't mention it because I only listed books I read this summer.