8.25.2008

Six Flags...and some other ramblings

I can vividly remember being so excited when I was younger to visit Six Flags that I didn't sleep the night before.  It seemed to take FOREVER to drive there and I remember Thunder River being my favorite ride. When I was very young, my brilliant parents decided to let me ride The Screamin' Eagle simply because I asked if I could.  I remember walking up to the "Are You Big Enough to Ride this Ride" ruler and the trusty teenage employee saying "Close enough".  It took many years before I rode it again, but it eventually became a favorite along with the Ninja, Mine Train, and Mo Mo the Monster.  One time in junior high I went to see one of the shows that Six Flags no longer puts on.  It was a celebrity look-alike show and my friend and I scored second row seats to see these people dressed up like people that were WAY before our time.  Nevertheless, the man impersonating Elton John stuck his microphone in front of me and he and I took turns singing the chorus to "Saturday Night's Alright".  Oh the memories!  To this day, every time I smell heated asphalt, I think "that smells like Six Flags!".  

My current feelings of Six Flags are less complementary.  The park lacks some of the appeal it had when I was a youngster or maybe its just because I am no longer seeing it through the eyes of a child.  But, as a parent, it was quite enjoyable to watch Amelia react to all of the things Six Flags still has to offer.  

Yesterday was Jason's work picnic, held at Six Flags.  The tickets, parking, and lunch were all very generously covered by Monsanto.  They even had face painting and some small everyone-who-plays-is-guaranteed-to-win-games back in the eating area.  It was a nice day and although Amelia has been one other time, it was as though she was seeing every thing for the first time!

She loved every ride she went on with the exception of what I've termed the "Scooby Doo fiasco". This was more Jason and I's fault though for taking her on this ride.  It was the same ride that I knew as a child where you ride a boat through a dark cave and watch as people/ghosts/cartoon characters move and talk around you.  I don't exactly remember what the ride was called when I was younger (Tunnel of Love?), but maybe some of you..ahem...older readers out there can help me out.  I do remember, however, the boats which are the exact same one they use for the Scooby Doo ride.  I also remember the jerky motion of the boats and the strange smell of the cave (mildew, perhaps?).  Amelia was not amused with any of this, though, and buried her head into my arm looking up only when I would say things in a sing-song voice like "oh, look at the puppy!".  It is a little scary in there and loud! But, she survived and said she would try to ride again when she was 3, but not a second before. I guess this is not unlike taking your 6ish year old on the Screamin' Eagle.

She also rode the Moon Cars, 
the Colossus (ferris wheel), 
the kiddie swings, 
the airplanes,
the Carousel, 
 a tiny train, 

and the big train.  She loved one more than the next and we didn't hear a single complaint. Throughout the day, when asked, she mentioned each of these rides as being her "favorite".  

Jason asked as we were pulling up if I thought she would like the Log Flume.  You know, the ride that is a nice relaxing float along a "river" in a log shaped boat with subtle twists and turns and then ends with a 60 FOOT PLUNGE!  He was serious, too!  Unfortunately she didn't meet the 42" height requirement--ha!

Its hard to say what Amelia's favorite part of the day was.  Maybe all of the characters she got to meet.  (Notice how I sent Jason in to stand by all of the characters?  What a guy!  Although, secretly I think he liked it):



Or was it the lunch she ate of chicken fingers followed by some yummy ice cream?

 No, actually I think the best part about Amelia's day had to have been the fountains in the kiddie area. She could not get enough!

Nope, the magic of Six Flags has definitely not been lost.

2 comments:

Amy @ FitMommas said...

Sean won't ride those swings and airplanes! He loved everything else, but looking at these pics makes me wish he'd enjoy it more! She's such a cutie, obviously having a great time with Mom and Dad!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! I know what you mean about those smells, I always think the exact same thing. I love the new kiddie area, its great for the little ones.