Given that my SURPRISE PARTY was two weeks earlier, I felt like we had been celebrating my birthday for a very long time when it finally rolled around. The night before the big day, Amelia and Jason were "secretly" making my cake. (Guess who took the pictures). Jason decided to get all fancy and make a double layered cake with frosting in between. He bought lots of sugary princess decorations, fancy pink frosting, and even some of those special tips to make neat designs on the cake. Amelia thought the princess theme was great and enjoyed "helping" put it all together (like putting it in her mouth and on her forehead!).
The lovely stomach flu I acquired stuck around for my actual birthday, so I spent much of it feeling quite nauseous and reassuring people that "No, I am not pregnant! Yes, I am sure--its just a bug". Good times. I was lucky enough for my birthday to fall on Tuesday (the one day of the work that I work) and was keeping my fingers crossed that the ice that came that morning would lead to the cancellation of school. Unfortunately, every OTHER school in the area was off and I endured an hour long commute instead.
Once at work, though, it was great! I have forgotten how excited elementary kids get when someone is having a birthday. They were thrilled and I was even serenaded by two little girls at lunchtime. The teachers with whom I have worked with over the past several years pitched in to buy my lunch (I opted for soup which was about all I could stomach) and an ice cream cake. Every time I would check my phone, I had a new message or email acknowledging my big day which was really fun!
By the time I arrived at my mom's house to pick Amelia up, I felt pretty lousy. We had a low key dinner and then returned home for some yummy cake (wow look at all of those candles and we were 10 short!) during which Amelia threw a pretty impressive tantrum. After a little present opening, we decided to call it a night.
And I survived. Turning 30! Now I have 10 years to prepare for the next big one and then I'll REALLY be old!
No comments:
Post a Comment