1.20.2009

A Big Bed for a Big Girl





Well, my little girl is officially in a big bed.  

All in all, I guess the transition has gone as smoothly as what could be expected.  It is certainly better than where we were with the crib in her room.  You see, two weeks ago, I thought I heard her awake in her bed during nap time.  Assuming her nap was over, I walked in to discover her completely naked climbing back into her crib.  Inside the crib, she had already placed a new diaper, a wipes container, and a clean set of pajamas.  Apparently, she had decided to take it upon herself to change her own diaper.

Things went downhill from there.  She got smart enough to realize she couldn't exactly put on a diaper by herself.  So, during nap time, when she felt so inclined, she would take off her old diaper (poopy or not) and use about 35 wipes before putting on a new pull-up.  And along with the diaper changes came about 8 billion outfit changes.  I would go into her room to get her up from her "nap" and it would look like a war zone.  Drawers had been dumped out and turned over to use as step stools to get into off-limit items.  Various shoes and toys would be placed in the dirty clothes basket although they were neither dirty nor clothes.  The last straw was when I found the top (and the top ONLY) to a bottle of baby oil.  When I asked where the rest of it was, she told me in her pajamas drawer.  She was right, it was there, but now it was empty.  Needless to say there WERE some dirty clothes that day.

So, we headed out in search for a big girl bed last weekend and came up short.  After mentioning to my dad that I couldn't really find exactly what I wanted, he offered to make a bed for Amelia, like he had made a bed for my nephew, Andrew.  

I was ecstatic and quickly took it upon myself to find my ideal bed online.  However, given my incredible indecisiveness, I couldn't decide.  Sleigh bed or mission style?  Just headboard or footboard too?  Storage underneath?  Mattress AND box springs?  Daybed?  Loft bed?  Decisions, decisions!  

In the meantime, Amelia decided that nap time was full out playtime and things continued to decline.  Our little escape artists was pulling the same shenanigans at night too.  We would put her to bed and then 30 minutes later hear something.  We would peek in the check on her and there she would be: light on, complete with new outfit (with shoes of course), scaling her shelves to reach her princess snow globe.

So, this past weekend out we set again.  This time in search of a mattress only.  The "bed" part would have to wait.  This girl needed out of the crib pronto!  We bought a mattress, borrowed a frame, purchased some sheets (princesses, of course), a mattress pad, and rails to keep her in bed.  In the process, I located a bed I want my dad to make and he came up and took pictures and measurements at the store.

By the time we finished all of this running around, it was too late to stick her in the bed Saturday night.  But early Sunday morning, we got everything washed and set up for her. Amelia did her share to get everything put together.  Needless to say, she was giddy with excitement.  We had to wait for a long time for the mattress pad to finish drying so when I finally was able to make her bed, she asked, "Can I get on NOW, mommy?"  no fewer than 800 times.
Amelia's first interaction with the bed was for her afternoon nap.  Although we didn't expect it to be successful, we attempted it Sunday afternoon anyway.  Needless to say it was a full out failure.  Not only had she not napped for nearly two weeks, the addition of a new bed (that happened to have Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Belle on it) proved to be too much to settle down.

It hasn't been all bad news for the new bed though.  To be continued......

No comments: