Day three started with another long bus ride out to the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks. Call me sheltered if you will, but I had no idea about the purpose of a Lock and learned quite a bit on our journey!
The boats about to go through the Locks (this happens each time a boat needs to transition from the freshwater to salt water and vice versa.
The water level was lowered--see how low the boat is now? Surprisingly, the process is pretty quick.
The other side where the boats will soon travel. Now they are at the same level and the gate opens to let the boats through.
A sculpture at the Locks.
Big smoochers near the entrance!
Amelia thinking she was in a castle--hence the cooperation and smile.
More boats docked near the Locks.
I noticed time and again how nice the people of Seattle were--particularly the bus drivers. I remember thinking the same thing about the residents of San Diego. At the time, I thought it was the beautiful, year round weather that kept them in such a good mood, but now I think that perhaps its just the West Coast mentality.
Once we finally made it back downtown, we headed back to the hotel for a rest time--Amelia loved pressing the elevator buttons each time we got in.
The view from our room!
By Day 3 the Seattle weather had turned--well, more Seattle-like. The temperatures were in the slow 60's and a chilly wind had moved in. After dinner, Jason, Amelia, and I decided to make the 5 block walk back to the Rocky Mountain Candy store. This time we opted for a delicious assortment we could all share, including an amazing apple covered in white and milk chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter.
After dessert, we did a little more goofing in the room until bedtime. Amelia thought she had found the perfect hide-and-seek spot, but one (actually two!) thing gave her away!
Trying to see if she could fit in one of the draws. As you can see, Amelia though Seattle was a blast!
1 comment:
Yay! The locks. I'm still not sure why I was so fascinated.
Post a Comment